Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Smudge seeks assurances


Alan Smith insists he is happy to stay at United, but is eager to receive assurances that he has a future at the club.

The England striker, who joined the Reds from Leeds in 2004, is highly coveted by a host of Premiership clubs after struggling to win a regular starting berth at Old Trafford.
Smith told The Sun: "If the manager tells me he wants me, I'm there for him. If he doesn't, it's time to move on. If you're no longer wanted, then you have to consider your options. I want to be out there from the start."
Fans' favourite Smith spent most of last season recovering from an horrific broken leg and dislocated ankle, but returned in the campaign's crucial latter stages.
The firebrand striker's comeback injected vigour into the Reds' performances, most notably in the 7-1 thrashing of Roma, in which Smith scored his only goal of the campaign.
Tabloid rumours are contrasting over whether or not the 26-year-old will be offered a contract extension at United, but Smith concedes he remains in the dark for the time being.
"If they are going to sell me, I'd like to know," he said. "But I won't find out unless I get to speak to the manager."

No comments: